Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Beginning

Well, here it is. Over the next 52 weeks I'm going to build one bike per week that will be sold or auctioned off to benefit two non-profit organizations that are important to me: Lifebuilders and Home Fur-Ever.

First off, a little bit about me. My name is Josh and, along with my wife Darla and dog Woodson, I started Brown Dog Welding last year. I'm a former "Big Three" employee, having spent 6 years as a millwright and maintenance welder for Chrysler. The unprecedented economic events of the last couple of years have forced some difficult personal decisions for a lot of people, and my wife and I are no different. I officially left Chrysler in May, and I'm now putting all my energy into BDW. Attempting to build a lasting business and a brand in the worst economy since the Great Depression is a daunting task, but one that seems a little less "pipe dream" and a little more possible every day.

Now for the inspiration. While Detroit's(and the entire country's, for that matter) hardships have had an effect on us all, none have been hit harder that those that depend on the generosity of others to survive. Those in need are "needier" than ever, but the organizations that offer that support are getting less support themselves. My hope is that I can give some financial aid to Lifebuilders and Home Fur-Ever, and at the same time increase awareness for my business and what I do.

So every week for the next year I will build one bike sculpture specifically to sell or auction off for one of these two organizations, with 100% of the proceeds going to them. I'll also be posting stories, musings, pictures of the bikes(obviously!) and other things I do, links to things that I dig, and so on and so forth.

The bike sculptures I do are one-off creations, each one is numbered, named, and signed. No two bikes are ever alike, and I will NEVER mass produce my work! The very first "Year of the Chopper" bike I do will be bike number 83.

Here are some pics of previous bikes.





No comments:

Post a Comment